Hmmm?


Last year I read the book A Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs.  I really enjoyed it.  It made me laugh out loud at parts, and think and reflect in others.  So now that I'm on my "plan" I figured it was time to read his book Drop Dead Healthy, subtitled "One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection."  It's an interesting look at the research, cultures, and practices associated with "healthy living."  It begins with a nice overview and then chapters devoted to specific body parts such as The Heart, The Lungs, etc.  I'm anxious to keep going with it.  He bases his quest on three criteria:
  1. Longevity
  2. Freedom from disease and pain
  3. A sense of emotional, mental, and physical well-being.
Actually, those same 3 criteria are exactly why I buckled down and got going on my own plan.  I want to live long enough to enjoy my family for as long as possible.  I need to reduce my risk factors for disease and get in good enough shape that daily life isn't painful.  Finally, I would love to feel better overall.

So far I have to admit I feel a little bit better overall; still a long ways to go yet though.  I think even the few pounds I've lost so far have to help my risk factors.  Longevity?  Well, that one is down the road a bit.

Like Jacobs I know that exploring these ideas, taking this journey requires some long term study, commitment.  In my mind I'm figuring a year.  By then I've hopefully dropped a bunch of extra pounds but also figured out how to navigate my life better.

I feel like a need a sign-off catch phrase.... The most interesting man in the world advises "Stay thirsty my friends"  and Red Green tells folks to "Keep your stick on the ice." John Bingham from Runner's World encourages everyone to "Waddle on my friends."  Tonight all that comes to mind is "Keep your thirsty on the ice while waddling." 

Guess I need to keep working on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books