wine

"Let us celebrate the occasion
with wine and sweet words."
~Plautus                                                                                                         
"Wine is bottled poetry."
~Robert Louis Stevenson

I know that everyone has a vice or two.  Although my husband would claim I'm perfect, I think a vice of mine would be wine.  After a long day at work, after the boy is in bed, once we're settled down on the couch to reconnect, I enjoy a glass of wine with my husband.  We probably go through this ritual at least 4 nights a week, which might be excessive, but I enjoy it.

To be honest, I think sometimes it makes Bob nervous.  My father was an alcoholic, and research indicates that there tends to be a family predisposition for addiction.  I'm also still pretty overweight, so drinking empty calories from the grape doesn't assist in the weight loss department.  And I've had several scares with fibroid adenomas in my breasts.  Although they're not cancerous, Bob worries and would like me to do everything possible to live forever.  And I know he's right - losing weight, exercising, eliminating alcohol are all habits of long-lived, healthy people.

But so is love, and living a stress-free life.  I don't typically drink to excess.  I don't "need" alcohol or go into any sort of physical withdrawal when I don't have it.  I don't miss work or put a lampshade on my head.  To me, its like my cup of coffee in the morning:  what's in the cup isn't as important as the routine. 

Granted, I could develop a new routine - maybe a glass of water and some kale chips?


Hmmmm. 

Comments

Missy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Missy said…
Show him the studies on red wine

Popular posts from this blog

books

what goes up, must come down

imagination