why be a hater?

So apparently the second grade class my son is in has a large contingency of Barney haters.  That's right, I said Barney.  As in the big purple dinosaur that teachers children how to be friendly and kind to one another.  I don't know why Barney has become the target of their twisted 8 year old minds, but apparently he has.  I know this because each day my son comes home and sings another variation of an "I hate Barney" song.  Today's song is sung to the tune of the sweet holiday carol, "Joy to the World:"

Joy to the World, Barney is dead!
We bar-becued his head!
What happened to the bo-dy?
We flushed it down the po-tty,
Around around it goes,
Around around it goes,
A-ro-und, a-ro-und around it goes!

Yes, the song is disturbing.  Yes, I'm concerned about my son's sense of humor, even though he assures me that "everyone is doing it."  And I guess the peer pressure to sing anti-Barney songs isn't as unhealthy as peer pressure to get tattoos, or eat glue.  Still, it's a little wierd, dontya think?

I've asked about why he hates Barney, and I've asked who invents these songs, but I can never get a real answer.  I'm sure there must be a little future delinquent being a bad influence on my "perfect son".... right??
On the other hand, Barney is rather annoying - always cheerful, always encouraging children to share, and sing.  In fact, I think I may have once taught my children the "Barney" song, substituting the word "psycho" for "happy" in the description of family....


It couldn't be that MY son is the ring leader, could it?  I guess I'll have to wait and see what tomorrow's song is...

Comments

Lori L said…
from the title I thought this was going to be about not rejoicing in the recent elimination of a top ten wanted list member. how hate isn't good, even if it was a bad guy.
but alas, it's a much more local topic, still related to tolerance.
Missy said…
Oh, come on. Barney songs have been around since the show started. It's just another version of the "Great Big Gobs" song. :) Think of it as the 8 year old's version of Weird Al.
Melanie said…
I sang the very same Barney song when I was in second grade. Its a phase, he'll be okay.
Missy said…
I don't think you really made your point with your comment, Mel. :)
Melanie said…
It's a different Melanie, Missy.... one that seems to be turning out to a productive member of society.
Sheila said…
I have the same aversion to Barney and he is banned from my house. It's the lighting - it's creepy.

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books