trucks

Well it's 40 below and I don't give a f**k
Got a heater in my truck and I'm off to the rodeo


I got a new pickup truck. For a variety of reasons my husband decided it best to trade in my beloved Chevy Tahoe and the vehicle deemed to be best suited to our lifestyle is a new Crew Cab Silverado. My husband is pleased with the lower payments, insurance savings, and warranty. I'm just tickled all sorts of shades of pink to be back in a pickup.

When I was younger my dream vehicle was a 1970's model Ford F-150 shortbed. There was a cool guy from Nikiski who drove one. His was black, but my ideal was a dark metallic blue, with a rollbar and spotlights. Sigh....

My first new vehicle ever was a black, 1992 Ford Ranger pickup. I felt so damn cool in that truck. Sunroof, cool teal splash decals, cassette player. I negotiated it myself after I got my first "real" job. I was so pleased that I talked 'em down several thousand dollars. If only my parents had taught me about interest rates, since I didn't realize that Ford offering to finance me at 12% wasn't really much of a favor.

Since I met my husband we've had a lot of vehicles, several of them trucks. At first, I got to drive the trucks but soon it was deemed more practical for me to drive the "mom cars." Suburbans, Tahoes, Blazers, a Pontiac Vibe - cars with more room for kids and stuff. I must admit, they were indeed practical and I didn't mind driving them. In fact, as a peace offering, my last new car even had heated seats and such. Living in a place where much of the year is below freezing (and my garage is used to hold weight equipment) the heated seats were indeed pretty snazzy.

But all bets are off now and I can be completely honest. I'm a pickup truck gal at heart. I don't know what it is about having a truck bed behind me that gives me a whole new outlook on life. A bit of an attitude, some might say. Maybe it's because I once again have the option (albeit theoretical) to throw all my stuff in the back and take off for parts unknown. Maybe it's because I can haul wood, or a snowmachine, or a bunch of camping gear and I don't need any help. If we had to move or buy a couch, I could just back my truck up and load the puppy down.

In my mind I'm considering all the accessories I could put on this new truck. Some moose lights, pin striping, a cool chrome bumper. In reality I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a car; I'm still a responsible mom after all and am frugal with my money.

So please don't tell my husband I did buy one little thing to add. When you see the metallic gray Silverado with the cool Yosemite Sam mudflaps that say "Back Off!" you'll know it's me.

Comments

Sheila said…
If you really did get those mud flaps that is hysterical. =) I will be watching for you on the roads...

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books