optimism

It's hard to come by sometimes.  Even those who say "I'm a positive person" and look for that elusive half full glass have to struggle sometimes, yes?  I know I do.

I'm a lucky gal.  I have a job I generally enjoy, a family that I love and usually like, good friends, financial stability, lots of books and two big, goofy dogs.  I wake up thankful in the morning and I go to bed happy.  Most of the time.

But do you ever read the news, or see some idiot on tv who makes you question why one would even try to make it in this world?  The Alaska State Legislature's House Sustainable Education Task Force spent over five hours last Saturday talking about a return to boarding schools for rural Alaska natives. Because that was so successful the last time we tried it?  And let's not forget that they think native corporations should fund these schools because native students will attend them.  I thought it was the responsibility of the state to educate all students, not just those who are white and live in cities?  I also thought that after they published their first report saying the way to improve education in Alaska is to cut funding, folks would write them off. No such luck.  And to think, this is the field to which I've dedicated my life.

And then there's less critical issues, like the media's response to an excited, superb football player saying he's the best and talking crazy after sending his team to the Superbowl.  How dare that big black man scare that little white female reporter? And let's not even mention that the Twitterverse that is so concerned about Richard Sherman doesn't seem too worried about Central Africa, or the Ukraine.

So I try not to think about it, and then I get through.  But does that make me a cop out? Part of the problem itself?  I should be out there trying to make a difference, instead of coming home and just hanging out with my family and losing myself in senseless fiction.

Today, optimism eludes me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books