parent -teacher conferences

Finished both of the minor children's parent-teacher conferences.  Met with the boy's 3rd grade teacher last week and saw 5 of Aileen's 6 teachers today.  Nice to know that both of them are doing just fine.  We expect them to progress to the next grade and continue to learn as they go.

When I was in the classroom, I absolutely loved parent-teacher conferences. Part of it was because I always enjoyed my students - teenagers are hilarious and brilliant (even when they try not to be). I also felt like it was really my job to say something good about the student to the parent or guardian who trusted me with them each day.  Don't get me wrong, I was never afraid to give a straight take, but I tried to do it while sending the message that my job was to help, not to label or condemn. 

I was lucky in that my kids' teachers seem to like 'em okay.  As a self-declared master teacher myself, I sometime find myself questioning a teacher's assignments or methods.  Overall though, I can't complain much as they're both getting a decent education.

It will be fun to see where Aileen ends up as she plans her senior year and beyond.  10 years from now will she have majored in what she says will?  Where will she be living?  I'm also looking forward to watching Jed.  He's so curious and fun.  I'm just hoping that somehow we can get him hooked into school as a place he loves to be and which he sees as a place of learning.

Now, the boy is in bed reading tales of Superfudge.  The girl is working on a powerpoint for AP United States History.  The big dog is gnawing a bone, rather noisily and the little dog is snoring next to him.  All is well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books