mellow

I like to think of myself as a "mellow" person.  I'm not one who freaks out at the unavoidable or spends much time getting angry.  Now, I realize that not everyone who knows me would answer "mellow" when asked, "What's one word that describes Melanie?" but upon reflection I think most would agree.  Wouldn't they?

Okay, so I do get excitable sometimes, especially talking about Shakespeare or Twinkies, but one can be enthusiastic and extroverted and simultaneously mellow, right?   And sometimes I do get a little focused, in what Bob calls my "field marshall" mode.  But one can be mellow while creating a plan for fixing the world that will work just fine as long as everyone does what I say when I say it, yes?

For any who might doubt me, let me share this example.  Hypothetically, let's say a working professional  woman with a working professional husband lives in a comfy little house on a pretty little hill.  And let's say that this wonderful woman is content to live in this cozy shack, sharing one small bathroom with two teenage girls, a boy and a husband.  AND let's say that this patient, positive lady smiles and embraces the changes over the years such as storing dishes and food in rubber maid tubs when the cabinets fall off the walls, not having a closet in the bedroom, going years without being able to take a bath, voles running through the house & trying to poison the children, and having to climb under the house in order to turn a space heater on under the drain.   AND THEN let's say that one cold winter this even-tempered wife and mother smiles patiently through a week of no running water, showering at a public pool before work and washing socks by hand before a local handyman wizard is able to restore working water pipes.  THEN lets say that this serene woman calmly accepts the news the next winter when water once again stops flowing, even staying home from work to meet the thawing company that turns out to be unable to come because their thawing pump and tubes got contaminated from a septic system mishap.  Such a woman would be considered mellow, yes??  I mean, there's no sense getting upset or anything, one just takes it in stride.  Well some might say I'm that kind of woman.

By contrast, I do know women who expect things to work all the time, things like water and cars and heat.  I even know women who insist that things look nice, matching furniture, doorknobs on every door, painted sheetrock mud.  Not me, I'm just mellow.  Even when we're out of wine.....

Comments

Lori L said…
oh boy sounds like a rough start to February. Of course you are mellow, as long as they keep dropped those little pink pills in your water tank.......

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books