disillusioned

Efficiency is the buzz word at Delegate Assembly this year.  However simply because technology, in this case clickers, is introduced into the mix doesn't mean things are more efficient, and it certainly doesn't mean things are improved. 

I used to love to come to NEA-Alaska's annual meeting because I loved that people from all over the state could come and debate issues, share ideas, create visions for the future, and then at the end of the day sing the Alaska Flag song and head to the bar to still be friends.  The atmosphere on the floor was exciting, people looked to see how others were voting and were actively engaged in raising cards to be heard with a vote.

This year we've got clickers for voting, folks are plugged into their own little words, hitting buttons alternatively between their smart phones and voting clickers.  Rules are reinterpreted so that what should be, and used to be, easy are no longer feasible.  Apathy reigns and I'm a dinosaur.

I used to claim to love NEA-AK for what I called it's "heart factor."   I think the ekg just went flatline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books