January

"To read a poem in January is as lovely as to go for a walk in June." ~ Jean-Paul Satre

"It's normal to be blue in January."  ~Marilu Henner

January makes me blue.  It's a silly thing, as January brings lots of good things.  The kids return to school, old friends visit, summer grows closer, days get longer.... lots of good things.  But still, January makes me blue.

Maybe it's the return to status quo after the promise and hope that a new year brings.  Maybe it's the long dark days and the cold.  Maybe it's just January.

This is the month where I just want to stay home and hold on tight to my family.  To know that everyone is safe and warm and accounted for.  (Heck, that last statement makes me sound like a border collie!)  I want to make soup, and drink red wine, and take naps with the dog sleeping on my feet keeping them warm.

It may be that it's been two years since my dad died.  It's funny how I miss him, and when I miss him.  Lately the day my brother called to tell me he died has been replaying in my mind.  I guess that's enough to make me blue.

Rationally, I think it's okay to be blue sometimes.  It makes me think, and reflect, and oddly enough being blue helps me realize all the good things I have in my life.  As the enthusiasm for new year's resolutions wears off, and routine settles once again, it's nice to know that my comfortable life is a good one.  I'm content with who and where I am.  I'm happy with my job.  I love and laugh with my best friend daily.  So bring it on, blues - I'm ready for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books