television

It's hard to figure television out. The cliche of "1000 channels and nothing is on." Actually, there's plenty on, but it's all pretty wierd stuff. Ghost Hunters, UFO Encounters, reality TV x 6 (or maybe 7), news that really isn't, reruns of Green Acres and MASH, lots of infomercials. I try to watch it, try to understand, but mostly I don't. There are things I like, Big Love and Saving Grace, but I don't know anyone else who really watches those. I hear lots on CSI and American Idol, but I just don't get 'em. Buffy dvd's are always a safe bet - and I hear I need to watch The Office.

I like to watch tv for mindless escape, like Gangland, or to examine situations I find perplexing, like Big Love. I like intelligent humor combined with monsters, like Buffy, or good 'ol hilarious blasphemy like Father Ted.

What has happened to books? Even a book lover like me can be sucked into turning on the tube instead of turning the pages.

For me, I find it hard to lose myself in a book like I used to. My mind can never completely turn off, so tv works fine for a diversion. Maybe if I read more, my brain could detox a bit. Maybe that's the key.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books