shakespeare

Today I got to teach some Shakespeare. A student asked me "How many times have you read this play [Romeo & Juliet] anyways??" I had to think about it. I know I must have read it in high school, although I don't remember. (The only Shakespeare I remember from high school was Macbeth in Mrs. Satathite's class, and that was because Kathleen left in the middle of class.) I know I studied R&J in college, in a course on tragedy, and I've read it at least once per year for each of my 14 years of teaching.

So why do I like it? In fact, the whole Shakespeare thing is pretty awesome. I like Romeo and Juliet because it makes teens think about relationships, love, and maturity. I love Macbeth, because I think the concept of a good man letting ambition get the better of him is compelling. Hamlet is a great story - gotta love the sheer beauty of the language and the mastery of characterization. Julius Caesar is a commentary on modern society, politics, and complacency; good ol' Will nailed mob mentality in this one.

I think teens can "get" Shakespeare's themes, but I wonder if they can truly appreciate the beauty of the language, the awe that his ability to portray human thought and emotion should inspire?

Am I just a dork? Is Shakespeare REALLY all that great or am I just invested in keeping my job secure?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books