moose

So I get a phone call, it's my 5 year old and he's crying. At first I can't understand him; all I get is "moose," "sledding," "scared me." Finally I realize that, while sledding, he and his sister saw 2 moose in the yard and decided to head back into the house. Later on, the mama moose chased the dog a bit. Now, Jed's worried the moose will come onto the porch or, worse yet, into the house.
His sister isn't very patient and doesn't seem to remember the time she went out to the car in the morning and ran nose to nose with a moose who scared her (and she it!) half to proverbial death.

When I was a child, I got chased by moose at the bus-stop twice. Once was my own fault, I was being funny and antagonized the beast. The second time I walked unknowingly between the mama and calf, she snorted and took a few good steps before I ran and jumped over a snow berm to safety.

Since we've lived here we've had lots of interesting moose encounters, and one scary time when a yearling almost ran over my husband as he headed to the car to go to work. Usually they're just big and pesky - trying to eat my lilac tree or the last of my kohlrabbi and cabbages. Ocasionally they're a bit scary - like the Thanksgiving an irritated moose set up a track between the Studio where the girls were and the house, where the food and the parents were.

I suppose to some people this would seem scary - or exotic. To me, it's much more manageable than having to deal with sneaky critters like spiders or snakes. A moose rarely sneaks up on you, and they never get in the house (despite the "Give a Moose a Muffin Book, that makes them seem quite domestic). A moose isn't going to bite you without you realizing it, only to discover your flesh is rotting from venom. A moose isn't going to give you a weird contact rash like poison ivy or the like. If moose and mosquitos are what I endure for living in Alaska - bring it on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books