Fake grown up

Sometimes I feel like everyone is going to find out.  Somehow, someone is going to realize that I'm not really a grown up, nor am I that smart, and they'll say, "How did she get into this position?"  I always felt a sense of irony that I became a teacher when I don't really believe in schools.  It was like I was pulling a fast one, getting a chance to shape young minds and incite rebellious thinking under the guise of English 9.  And then I got promoted - I'm in central office. WTF? Don't they know that I don't really believe in our school system, or that I don't see the education world the way others do?   Don't get me wrong - I love teaching, I love students and I believe that our world will be okay because young people are smart.

Sometimes, I want to be king of the world for just a few days.  Long enough to change the way people think.  Long enough to make teachers, especially those in high schools, step back and think about kids first and content second.  I want us to convince all kids that they're smart, and capable, and that our job is to help them figure out the game of school and learn tons of stuff and move on and change the world.

Then I'll give up the throne, grab a big cup of coffee and sit back and watch the next generation rule the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books