Brian's Song

Came home and the husband was watching the original Brian's Song movie about Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers.  Now the same channel is showing the remake.  I remember when I first saw this movie as a teenager.  What spoke to me was the message about racism, and persistence.  One year I had a "special" group of students in American Lit and I did a unit on sports literature.  I showed my boys, many of them football players, the movie in class.  Most of them had never heard of Gale Sayers or Brian Piccolo.  What they took out of it, and what I see now, is the power of friendship and that it's okay for tough guys to feel emotion, to love each other, and that good guys don't always win.  It's a powerful story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books