okay, ha ha, very funny

On CNN tonight, they showed videos solicited by Jimmy Kimmel of children being tricked by their parents on Christmas.  For example, instead of a Mr. Potato Head, a child opened a potato.  And their parents videotaped their misery.  Although it reflects poorly on me, I will say I laughed cruelly, even while admitting that it was awful for those kids.

Then I reflected that, on my sweet 17 year old's birthday on December 6, she wanted Ugg boots.  They're a bit spendy, and we debated whether to buy them.  Then, I had an idea.  In fact, to quote the Grinch, "It was brilliantly awful idea".... he he he.  Cut to  Ali opening her presents.  She reached for the first one, saw the Uggs boot box and exclaimed "You got them!!"  Then, she tore open the box and found - 1 boot!!!  "What the heck?" she looked quizzically at her parents.

"Uggs are expensive."  I responded.  "We figured we'd give you one now and the other at Christmas."

"We're on a budget, you know." Added her father.

 After some discussion, during which Aileen showed great patience and maturity, she became convinced that she would get the second boot in 3 weeks.  She looked rather sad, and pretty disappointed, but she went on to gift opening without tears or angry words.

Now, we actually had the 2nd boot already wrapped up in a funky-looking package marked Fragile (must be Italian).  She opened it and voila, there was boot #2. Ali was surprised and happy.

I wasn't as cruel as the mean parents, was I???

Check it out for yourself:  the first of the two Jimmy Kimmel videos is here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books