election day

On election day I think about Shakespeare - specifically Julius Caesar and Macbeth.  hmmm.

Let me have men about me that are fat;
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights;
Yond' Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous. (Julius Caesar, 1.2.192) 

'Tis a common proof,
That lowliness is young ambition's ladder,
Whereto the climber-upward turns his face;
But when he once attains the upmost round,
He then unto the ladder turns his back,
Looks in the clouds, scorning the base degrees
By which he did ascend. (Julius Caesar 2.1.22) 

Fair is foul, and foul is fair. (Maceth I.i.12)

Look like the innocent flower,
But be the serpent under it. (Macbeth I.v. 64)
 
I have no spur
To prick the sides of my intent, but only
Vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself
And falls on the other.  (Macbeth I.vii.25-28)
 
When in doubt, look to Shakespeare.  He rocks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books