Being a bridesmaid

18 years ago today one of my oldest, dearest, and onery-est friends got hitched.  She married a great guy, and they're put up with one another -happily it seems - for all these years.  I had the honor of being her maid of honor, one of my fondest memories.

One memory I have is that it was my first time to rent a car.  I flew into Seattle from school in Fairbanks, rented a car and headed out to the boondocks of Oroville, Wa.  I brought with me my electric blue bride's maid dress.  My mom was supposed to make it for me, and she pretty much did.  Only she ran out of time and motivation before she got  the button holes done.  So she figured she could accomplish the same look by sewing the buttons on the outside, and attaching snaps to hold it shut.  Hmmm, that was a decision that would haunt me later.

The whole family was there - on both sides and everyone was happy for Bill and Denise.  I always really liked Bill, and not just because he owned a bar and had a lead on lots of beer and champagne.  Bill's best man, Tom was nice too.  Until he dragged me to the front of the room to make a toast, which I hadn't planned on.  I think I did okay, spoke my words and raised my glass and I think only a few folks realized the snaps holding my top shut didn't hold.  Nowadays folks would call it a "wardrobe malfunction" back then we just called it embarassing.

The only bad part of the weekend was that I had a HUGE project due in a class when I got back, so I drove back to Seattle late at night so I could spend the day in the Seattle University library, where another friend was studying.  I got the darn project done (to this day I can tell you what you want to know about the Moskito Indians of Nicaragua) and ready to present, but I'm still bummed I had to leave the post-wedding party early.

In my wandering years, I stopped a few times to see Bill and Denise in Seattle. They were always welcoming and great to see.  Good friends are valuable.  They came to my wedding, and I've forgiven Bill for taping over my wedding video.  Now they're in California, although they spend summer in Kenai and I keep hoping they'll become permanent Alaskans. 

I never doubted they'd make it this long, but it's still pretty cool.

Comments

denise said…
Thanks, that was great and thanks again for being my bridesmaid 18 years ago! (which does make you older than 29)

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books