morning bliss

So this morning we're hanging out and reading.  Jed's moved from Harry Potter to one of the graphic novels I'm supposed to read for my summer class.  I've been reading the news online, drinking some coffee, the breeze is blowing outside... summer vacation in Fairbanks is awesome, isn't it?  We filled and rehung the bird feeds this spring, and have been getting lots of avian visitors.  We've got a pair of woodpeckers nesting in the woods below the house, lots of robins and chickadees.  I wish I knew more about birds because there are a few I don't recognize.  Della used to get excited about them, now she lays on the deck watching them, occasionally lifting her head to make an obligatory snap in their direction, like she thinks she's supposed to be a fierce hunter.  Ha.

I wonder about how folks who aren't teachers do it.  How do they get up and go to work each day, how do they take their kids to daycare all year long?  These lazy mornings just hanging out with my kids are pretty awesome.  Earlier I was listening to Jed stage a battle of the army of the north against the rebels of the south.  He had infantry for both sides, but the south's cavalry was on foot, their horses apparently killed by cannon fire.  The battle was fierce until a Y-Wing bomber piloted by clone troopers weighed in and destroyed the south's defenses.  Getting to eavesdrop on this kind of play, hearing the voices and the conversations he creates between General Hood, Colonel Chamberlain, and Obi-Wan... too cool.

So now he's reading, and my coffee is almost done.  I guess it's time to get up and be at least a tad bit productive.  I just hate destroying this moment.  Morning bliss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books