old married couple

Well, it has finally happened. After 9 years of marriage and 14 years of togetherness, Bob and I have taken "the step." I could tell from his demeanor when I got home last night that something was up. He was excited and said he had a "surprise." Now, I'm not necessarily big on surprises. I like to be a part of decisions and appreciate routine & predictability. So whenever my husband is excited about giving me a surprise, I find myself in a conundrum. Part of me immediately thinks "Oh NO!" while externally I've learned that I must present "Oh Goody! I can't wait!" in order to preserve my husband's feelings and peace in our household.

So he's excited and I'm apprehensive. When the boy is finally in bed and there's a lull in the activity he says "Come see your surprise!" I follow him upstairs, and sit on the bed while he pulls a box out of the corner. He reaches in and pulls out..... new slippers!!

While this may seem anticlimactic to some, it's actually a great surprise. For the past several years, I have been a daily wearer of shearling slippers. Nice, leather slippers with a good, non-slip sole. Our house, as those who have been here know, is comfy but rather shack-like in some respects. One respect is that our single oil heater keeps us from freezing, but the floor is always cold. Therefore, my slippers are dear to my heart and always on my feet. I've been known to embarrass my children by forgetting I was wearing them and then realizing it in the grocery store. The surprise is even better because I just last week I blew out the side on my old slippers. I've been debating whether to get a new pair, or just wrap more duct tape around the toe. Now, my dilemma is solved - I have new slippers!

Now careful readers will be wondering how new slippers constitute "the step" mentioned earlier. While they're extremely exciting to me, for the majority of the rational world, new slippers are not a big deal. Well dear readers, there's more.

After giving me my slippers and admiring how warm my feet looked in them. Bob got a huge grin. (The phrase "shit eating grin" comes to mind, although the literal part of me finds it extremely distasteful.) I could tell there was more to the surprise. "What?" I asked, as he reached back into the box.

"I got myself a pair too! We have matching slippers! I thought it would be neat to have matching slippers!"

There it is. Bob and I have entered the world of old married couples who begin to match. In our younger days, we had the temerity to mock such couples, tourists who would be walking downtown with matching sweat suits, or eco-yuppies with matching hats hand knit in Nepal and coordinating North Face jackets. Now, we had encountered the same fate. It's emphasized by the fact that my husband never has worn slippers; his sole (no pun intended) purpose in purchasing them was for us to match. Cute, yes?

While younger readers may laugh and think that they will never be so dorky, be warned that I once felt the same. In fact, truth be told, I even think it's kind of neat and smiled to myself as we both puttered about this morning with toasty toes and matching footwear.

But the minute he brings home one of those "I'm with Stupid" shirts that has an arrow....we have a problem.

Comments

Sheila said…
That is awesome! Mayhaps we might get to see a picture of the matching slippers being worn? =) xo sg

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books