-29

Somehow it went from a balmy -9ish when I went to bed to -29 degrees this morning. It's very still outside my window. The cold looks like it's settled in with a gray-ish frost that's covering all the surfaces and reflecting the light from the porch. The two older dogs were sharing a dog house, a sure sign that it's damn chilly. The puppy still hasn't learned. She refuses to use her dog house, so she was curled up in a ball, covered with frost and looking miserable. They weren't out for long, but at -29 degrees, it doesn't take long to freeze.

As of this moment, my daughter's ski practice is still on for today. The coach is hopeful it will warm up to -12ish, although they may cut practice a bit short if needed. The folks I'm supposed to meet for coffee are still planning on heading out and about. Life in Fairbanks doesn't stop for cold.

Next week we're driving south to Kenai for the holidays. Kenai is currently 4 degrees - ABOVE zero. I'm actually dreading Kenai weather more than heading out today. Kenai tends to be windy, and has more humidity. I always feel colder in Kenai than I do here in the "frozen northland." This trip will be warmer though. We'll be at my brother's house, a fire in the fireplace, hot toddies flowing, and lots of bodies. It's how to survive a long winter in Alaska.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books