home again

"There's no place like home for the holidays." Interesting thought, as I ponder the definition of "home" these days. Over Thanksgiving, we headed down to Kenai, my hometown and home for my first 18 years. Since my brother bought my folks' house, I slept with my husband in the same room I slept in growing up. We cooked in the same kitchen and gathered with extended family. On Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas comes to Kenai. As a child, this meant that Santa arrived (either on the fire truck, or in a helicopter) and handed out candy canes and tickets to a free cartoon movie at the Kambi. After the movie we would return to Moosemeat John's cabin for a bonfire, a hot beverage, and often some caroling. In later years, the city added fireworks to top off the evening. Taking my children to the bonfire and fireworks, seeing old friends, even parking in the old Carrs parking lot all overwhelmed me with nostalgia. It was nice to feel like small town life still exists and I was a part of it.


Yet after driving almost twelve hours yesterday, it was nice to get back to our little house on the hill in Fairbanks. The dogs were happy to see us, Hannah stayed overnight, I slept in my own bed. It was good to be home. Today I've been doing laundry, tracking down the funky smell in the fridge and cleaning up so we can start putting up Christmas decorations. As much as I loved going to Kenai, this is my home now and I love being here with my family.

We've lived in this house for almost 9 years now. For Bob, it's the longest place he's lived in one time since his childhood. Hannah and Ali also have spent the majority of their lives in this house, and this is the only home Jed has known. We have our traditions and our patterns for daily life. We've decorated with pictures we love, our books are on our shelves, and our blankets are ready for snuggling in.


There are so many quotes & cliches about "home."
Home is where the heart is;
Home is not where you live, but where they understand you;
home is the place that, when you have to go there, they have to take you in;
Home is where you can say anything you like 'cause nobody listens to you anyway.


For me, home is here where my children sleep, my dogs snore and my chores pile up. Be it ever so humble, or so messy, there truly is no place like home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books