How cold is cold?

My friend in Puerto Rico asked me "Is there much difference between -10 and -45?" I used to say, cold is cold but now I must admit that, while -10 is cold, -45 is damn cold. When you walk outside at -30, the breath almost freezes in your throat. At -60, you can spit in the air and it freezes before it hits the ground. At -25, soap bubbles freeze as you blow them. At any temp colder than -30, I find myself asking how badly I really need to leave the house. Can I do without milk or dinner?

Today, -47 means that the city's firework display is cancelled. -47 means that we're staying home instead of going to friend's for celebrating. -47 means that if my sweet husband really wants buffalo wings for dinner, he's going to fetch them his own self. Not that love freezes at 47 below 0, but it does move slowly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books