hope

I have never seen myself as especially patriotic.  I am proud of my gramps's military service and the sacrifices he made for our country.  I support our troops and their families as they carry out the life-changing, world-altering decisions of our Commander in Chief.  I don't want my own children to join the military, and I don't appreciate that our country spends so much on the military and oversees missions when our own citizens suffer daily.

Still, there is something about watching the Democratic National Convention that is inspirational.  First, I always admire people who feel passionately and act on their beliefs. I do believe that President Obama feels passionately about doing the right thing for our country.  I suppose that Mitt Romney does also, but  there's something about a man whose had money off the poor and middle class that rings false with me.

Watching the speeches last night made me wish I could be a part of the energy and gave me hope for the future of our country.  Julian Castro was great and showed that our country needs Latinos involved in government decision making.  Michelle Obama was sincere, articulate, and amazing.  Tonight is President Clinton and Elizabeth Warren. 

I may return to my cynical self at the end of this week, but tonight I'm holding on to hope and change for the future. 
"If farmers and blacksmiths could win independence from an empire…if immigrants could leave behind everything they knew for a better life on our shores…if women could be dragged to jail for seeking the vote…if a generation could defeat a depression, and define greatness for all time…if a young preacher could lift us to the mountaintop with his righteous dream…and if proud Americans can be who they are and boldly stand at the altar with who they love…then surely, surely we can give everyone in this country a fair chance at that great American Dream. 
Because in the end, more than anything else, that is the story of this country – the story of unwavering hope grounded in unyielding struggle. "
                                 ~Michelle Obama, First Lady of the United States, September 4, 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books