Dollywood

I've always liked Dolly Parton.  I remember her first probably in the movie 9 to 5 where she uttered the famous words, "I"m going to turn you from a rooster to a hen in one shot!"  I really liked her in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, where she sang "Hard Candy Christmas" which is a great song.  The movie A Smokey Mountain Christmas with Dolly and Lee Majors is my favorite cheesy holiday movie, and is now a tradition with my own kids.

I think what I like about her is that she's smart, and she's talented and she seems genuine.  Even with the big hair, the big boobs, and the big personality, she seems like a real person.  One who can laugh at herself, who enjoys life.

Her music is great.  A few years ago we started listening to her bluegrass albums, which was great. Halos and Horns is probably my favorite.  She made an album that was all covers of old folk tunes from the 60's, which was also fun.  I especially like her reaction to anti-gay fans who protested her song "Travelin' Thru" which she wrote for the film Transamerica.  After receiving death threats she responded with, "Some people are blind or ignorant, and you can't be that prejudiced and hateful and go through this world and still be happy...One thing about this movie is that I think art can change minds. It's all right to be who you are."  Pretty cool for a religious southern woman.

Although the movie is about acceptance in the transgendered community, the lyrics speak for anyone who struggles with identity.  And don't we all?
Like the poor wayfaring stranger that they speak about in song
I'm just a weary pilgrim trying to find my own way home
Oh sweet Jesus if you're out there, keep me ever close to you
As I'm travelin', travelin', travelin', as I'm travelin' thru

Anyways, I started this whole rant after hearing an article on Dollywood on NPR.  The article is great, and I think I'm a'gonna have to travel on down there.

Check it out:

Dollywood: The Many Fabulous Personalities Of One Strong Attraction


And here's the video too.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books