genetics

So I have spent the last day and a half not arguing with my child about his family heritage.  Yesterday he announced to me that he has "Ninja blood, on dad's side."  My husband is pretty darn western European, the ancestors that came to America were mostly from Wales, with a few from Scotland.  No Japanese anywhere in sight.

So I responded to my son.  "That's fun to pretend.  It would be fun to be a ninja."

To which he responds, "It's not pretend mom.  I really have ninja blood.  Dad just never told you about it, but we looked it up on his family tree."

I tried to continue a rational discussion with my son that explained that, like it or not, we're a pretty darn whitebread sort of family.  He dismissed my factual explanations with a wave of his hand and a rolling of his eyes.  What do I know?  Apparently I have clumsiness in my side of the family so I don't recognize ninjas.  And besides, if he didn't have ninja blood how could he sneak up on me so often, or sneak out of bed and eat marshmallows in the night without us knowing?  I just don't know anything about ninjas or ninja blood.

I dropped the subject and refused to argue.  I am a grown up, after all.  But today he started in again.  He made his statement about his "ninja heritage" on the way to school, and then a few more comments after school and during dinner.  As I kissed him goodnight he even looked at me sweetly and said, "I'm so glad that I'm part ninja on dad's side."

I kissed him sweetly, smiled and turned off his light.  But I have to admit that as I walked out the door I whispered, "No you're not."   

I got the last word, even if I'm the only one who knew it. 

Then again, tomorrow is another day.

Comments

Missy said…
Did you ask him to show you where he looked it up? Or you could tell him that ninjas went away as young children to be raised by the mean older ninjas. Either would be good.

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books