One more Saturday night

"Middle age is when you're sitting at home on a Saturday night and the telephone rings and you hope it isn't for you."  ~Ogden Nash
 
When I was really young, Saturday night meant getting to stay up late and either read or watch television, depending on whether the folks were home or not.  As a teenage, Saturday night meant driving aimlessly around Kenai trying desperately to act cool, and usually not succeeding.  But I always had good friends, good music, usually a California Cooler or two and a lot of laughs.  We'd end up at someone's house and watch the brand new channel of music videos and eat a lot of junk food.  In college, Saturday nights didn't start until 10:00 or so. Head with the buds to hit a party or a bar, dance, drink and be merry.  Be home by 4 or 5, and sleep all day.

Somehow, life has changed.  If I'm not in bed by 8:30 on a Saturday night, it's a wild one.  Currently it's not quite 6:00 pm and I'm pretty settled in.  Jed's still in the pajamas he's had on all day, even for his playing outside.  Bob's made popcorn and he and the boy are settled onto the couch with coca cola, books, a remote control and a Nintendo DS. I doubt they'll move until it's time to move the boy, just as he is, from the couch to the bed.  I'm settled back in my chair, did some classwork online, checked FB, and am contemplating whether a glass of wine of top of my pain medicine is a bad thing.  It probably is. 

So it's Mythbusters and college football scores, until it's just Bob and I to decide whether to watch an episode of Dexter or try and stay awake for an entire movie.

Part of me feels like I ought to rebel against this pull of humdrum uneventfulness.  Somewhere deep inside I'm still a wild woman, right?  All it takes is the right invitation to pull me out of my loungewear and inspire me to a pair of thigh high leather boots and some rock and roll attitude?  I could still unleash a crazy party animal who can dance all night and play all day.  True?
 
Still, the glow of  a woodstove, the dog sitting on my feet, and the comfort of this chair are hard to beat.  I'm comfortable with my conventionality and don't have to prove anything to anyone, even myself.  Besides, Mythbusters are about to test whether a full beer bottle or an empty one does more damage in a bar fight.  That's good information for the next time this wild woman hits the town.  Right?

Comments

Lori L said…
Tina Turner at 4am exercise session, guaranteed to bring out the inner wild woman. I'm not sure about the thigh tall leather boots, but I'm definitely game for a night of dancing, in public.

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books