superstar



I've been singing the songs from Jesus Christ Superstar, music by Andrew Lloyd Weber, in my head for the past few weeks and we finally watched the movie this weekend. It was filmed in 1973, on location in Israel and is beautiful to watch as well as hear. Not only is it the kind of soundtrack that gets in your head and stays there, but it offers a lot to think about. Jed watched it, and it was a great starting point to a discussion on Easter, and ultimately, human nature.

I remember listening to these songs as a kid. My mom & dad would always put in records on Saturday mornings and sing along. There was also a drive from Seattle to Kenai in 1992 when the only cassette my dad and I could agree on was this soundtrack. 4 days of "Everthing's Alright."

It's hard for me to pick a favorite song, character or scene from the movie. The film begins with a van full of hippie-looking people pulling up to the ruins of Avrat. They all get out and start getting ready; Jesus changes from jeans and a green tie-dye shirt into a white robe. Judas walks off by himself into the nearby hills and watches before he starts to sing. I like the character of Judas because he's obviously struggling within himself about what to do, and he obviously cares for Jesus although he's worried about the ways in which their mission has changed. This is a human man struggling with faith. In 1973, some conservative Christians didn't like the sympathetic portrayal of Judas. Other folks accused the director, Norman Jewison, of being racist because Judas is one of the only characters played by an African-American. I don't think you could watch the clip below and imagine any one else playing the character though - he's just damn good.




I also like the scene after the Last Supper where Jesus goes off by himself to pray. The prayer of Jesus in the film is truly a devout petition to God, an entreaty for understanding and a sharing of fear. From what I've read, this scene caused some folks to be unhappy with the movie. This Jesus is way too human and unsure for some folks. To me however, it's this human side that redeems the story and makes it meaningful to the average man. You can see the turning points within the final stanza of the prayer: Then I was inspired / Now I'm sad and tired / After all I've tried for three years / Seems like ninety / Why then am I scared /To finish what I started /What you started / I didn't start it/ God thy will is hard / But you hold every card /I will drink your cup of poison /Nail me to your cross and break me /Bleed me, beat me / Kill me, take me now /Before I change my mind."

But despite this seeming difficult choice, Jesus returns to be arrested and seems amazingly at peace. His decision was made and he followed through.



So our Easter day, in addition to great friends, family, food and drink, has also consisted of some pretty heavy conversations. Jed is fascinated with the idea of "blood money" and Judas deciding to hang himself. Did Judas realize by the end that Jesus really wasn't "just a man," was he simply a greedy scumbag, or was he really only doing what Jesus wanted/needed him to do? Why did the crowd turn upon Jesus so viciously after his arrest? How much of all this had to do with politics and the want to get or keep power? What about the ending, when all the hippies solemnly get back on the bus, with Jesus (played by Ted Neely) conspicuously absent?

And, after all is said and done, Jed wonders if the story is true or fiction but does it even matter? We learn and are inspired to think by the story as it's related to us and as we see ourselves in the characters and actions. As watchers or readers we find ourselves in the place of Peter and Mary Magdelene, asking if we could start all over again, what would we do and how will we move forward from here?

I've been living to see you
Dying to see you but it shouldn't be like this
This was unexpected, what do I do now?
Could we start again, please....
I think you've made your point now
You even gone a bit too far to get the message home.
Before it gets too frightening we ought to call a halt
So could we start again please

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books