mental dehydration

For some reason, I'm feeling really dry right now. Not literally dry - drinking plenty of water - but creatively dry. Not sure why that is. I've had a lot of rejuvenation this year; I've been able to read and listen and think and write. Maybe it's the time of year. This time of year is always so incredibly busy, even when I'm not teaching it turns out! We've had birthday parties every weekend, meetings to attend, springtime performances from our favorite groups. Now the husband is getting ready to head out of town for 2 1/2 weeks....

So how do I turn myself back from the "have to do, keep busy" life to the reflective life of earlier this year? If I can't do it now, I certainly won't be able to sustain it next year when I'm back working.

Right now, here's my plan..... do the "have tos" tomorrow and Friday. Friday evening Jed has his first sleepover and I go to the Fairbanks Shakespeare Friendraiser. Once that's done, I'll be prepared to pick Jed up if he freaks out, but if he doesn't, I'll come home and have a glass of wine and watch some episodes of Angel. Saturday night I'll let Ali and Jed pick what we do. Games or movies, hopefully, and I'll lie in bed that night and read as late as I want. Sunday is a birthday party for Jed and outside chores for us.

I'm actually thinking the outside chores will rejuvenate me. Spring is a time of rejuvenation, of renewal and growth and hope. Working outside will be good.

NOTHING is so beautiful as spring—
When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;
Thrush’s eggs look little low heavens, and thrush
Through the echoing timber does so rinse and wring
The ear, it strikes like lightnings to hear him sing; 5
The glassy peartree leaves and blooms, they brush
The descending blue; that blue is all in a rush
With richness; the racing lambs too have fair their fling.

What is all this juice and all this joy?
A strain of the earth’s sweet being in the beginning 10
In Eden garden.—Have, get, before it cloy,
Before it cloud, Christ, lord, and sour with sinning,
Innocent mind and Mayday in girl and boy,
Most, O maid’s child, thy choice and worthy the winning.

(Spring, by Gerard Manley Hopkins)

Comments

Ha! We are a very small Gerard Maley Hopkins appreciation society. I may cross-post this poem on my blog, too. It is gorgeous!

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books