Beach

I'm sitting here at the house on the beach.  I love the fact that I can come here and be totally relaxed and feel totally at home.

My mom is all I have left.  My father has passed, all my grandparents are dead, there's just her.  Her dream for as long as I can remember was to live on the Oregon Coast when she retired.  The fact that I got to be part of helping her get here is really important to me.

And I feel invested in this place.  When she first moved in I convinced her to buy these "low profile" stools from Fred Meyers, and now they're where all the boys sit when they're here.  My sister and I got her pictures hung, all the Rie Munoz she'd been saving since Kenai.  Last summer we found her a small hutch for the silver and such from my Gram, and my sister and I created a family picture wall.  Bob got her a good LED flashlight so she doesn't surprise any raccoons when she's walking sweetie at night.  I know my way around (pretty much) and have gotten to know her friends who live here off Washington St.  This week, I'm going to plant some perennials for her, get out the grill, and spray weed killer (organic of course).

Jedidiah loves it here.  He feels like he's right at home.  In fact, I think that when we're both here that he sort of feels like I'm intruding on his space and his relationship with his Grammie.  I'm grateful that he has a space and a relationship with her that's separate from his parents.

I've got clothes in the closet, shoes for the beach, and my old standby beach pants.  I've got good bourbon that I leave in the "liquor cabinet" which is actually an antique icebox that was my inheritance from my Grammie.  I know where she keeps the butterfingers and the sparkling water and to always grab a plastic newspaper bag before I walk Sweetie.

I love being here.  The only thing bad this time is that my menfolk are still up north.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books