Many moons ago I posted about elevator etiquette.  I like to thwart it and make strangers uncomfortable when trapped in a small place with me.  This is another post about etiquette, but this time I'm genuinely perplexed.

Here it is....
I work on the 4th floor of a building with one central women's restroom.  Often, when I go into the restroom there are other people in the vicinity.  Sometimes they're going out while I'm going in, which is an easy "Hello!" as I keep walking.  Sometimes they're at the sinks washing their hands and it's a bit more detailed:  "How are you doing? Good! I'm well also," as I walk in to the stall.  So here's the question - what is the etiquette about talking to people while they're (or you're) in the bathroom stall?  Here's an example... the other day I walked in, saw a co-worker washing her hands and said hello.  She said hello. We commented on the weather and I went in to the stall.  While I was in there, she asked me a question about a conference I had just been at.  I responded from the stall and the "conversation" continued for about 2 minutes before she said goodbye and left.

Okay, is it just me or is it weird to hold a conversation while you're sitting on the potty?  Especially when it's a work conversation, or someone you don't know very well?  I mean, when you take a bathroom break with your buddy at the bar, talking while peeing makes perfect sense.  But at work, it's just weird.

I did look to see if Miss Manners had anything to say on the subject and here's her rules, courtesty of http://www.thefrisky.com/2009-02-27/public-restroom-etiquette/:

  • Don’t go next to an occupied stall if there are others available. Although it’s a public restroom, some women like the illusion of privacy.
  • And on that note, don’t try to have a conversation with someone while they’re going. You might do it with your significant other at home, but your BFF and coworkers don’t want to know you that well.
  • In fact, the restroom isn’t a place for private conversations unless you and your friend are the only ones present. Some women are shy, and others just don’t want to offend you, so give them some privacy.
  • If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be sweet and wipe the seat. This goes without saying, but some of you ladies can be really inconsiderate (and messy).
  • Also, always look back to make sure everything has been flushed, even if it’s an automatic toilet. No one ever welcomes a turd surprise.
  • If you know the cleaning person rarely empties the little garbage inside the stall, then carry your un-flushable refuse to the main garbage. After a couple of days, those things can start to reek.
  • When someone is waiting to wash their hands move away from the sink. You can fix your hair or apply makeup when she’s done.
  • And if there’s no paper in the stall you just used, it’s courteous to warn the next woman waiting in line.


  • So, I'm not crazy in my discomfort. So the next question is, do I post these anonymously?  Do I say, "I'm sorry, I can't hold a conversation from the stall because Miss Manners says not to?" Or, do I accept the fact that my "corporate culture" says go with the flow?  And no pun intended, of course....

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    imagination

    what goes up, must come down

    books