let's hear it for the boob!

When I turned 40 it was quite a milestone.  My dad had died a few weeks earlier, I was unhappy with my physical condition, it was cold, and I had to do a round of "baseline medical tests." Whoopee!

One of those tests was my first routine mammogram.  As a younger woman, I heard the horror stories of "the boob squisher."  Various tales of pain, torture, and boobs turned as flat as a pancake.  Whoopee!

So I made the appointment, went in for the mammogram and it wasn't that bad.  Sure it was uncomfortable, but it wasn't the end of the world. The discomfort only lasted for a moment and then it was over.  The technicians were nice and all in all, no big deal.

And then it started.  There was an "irregularity" so I went back a few months later for a follow up.  That trip to the Imaging Center contained a surprise visit to the ultrasound department as well which turned up two "issues."  The first was a smallish lump that looked like a fibroadenoma.  These are relatively common and non-cancerous, but it was suggested to do a biopsy "just in case."  The second issue was a series of small microcalcifications, which can be a big deal.  Sooo, visit number 3 was scheduled.

There are two types of biopsies that I have discovered.  The first is ultrasound guided, the second is stereotactic.  I went for the ultrasound biopsy, in which they located the lump via ultrasound, insert a "needle" with a computer guided tip, and then took a series of tissue samples.  The second is where you lie on a table with your boob through a hole, they squish it between mammography paddles and image it to determine the path, and then sample.  I was lucky to experience both, a while apart, and I was especially lucky that both turned out well.  Neither the fibroadenoma nor the calcifications were cancerous.   I did win a follow up boob squishing 6 months later, and a nice pair of little round scars which look like a vampire bite on my boob. The bottom line however, was a clean bill of health.  (And there was much rejoicing!)

I have dear friends who have lost breasts to cancer, and a former student who lost her mother.  I know numerous women who have found malignant lumps and had successful treatment, and I know women who have had cysts, fibroids and scares which turned out to be benign.  According to the American Cancer Society's 2010 statistics, the chance of a woman contracting breast cancer is a little less than 1 in 8 and the number of women with breast cancer who die is 1 in 35 although that percentage is decreasing.   A recent report by the President's Cancer Panel (May 2010) suggests that 41% of Americans will contract some sort of cancer during their lifetimes, and up to 21% will actually die from cancer.  Those stats are kind of scary, though I tell myself that I know so many more cancer survivors than fatalities.

About a month ago, I noticed the lump in my breast got suddenly much larger, so I went into for another ultrasound and mammogram.  Sure enough, the fibroadenoma was about twice as large, and looked a bit more dense.  The edges still look nice and distinct, and it's got a nice round shape, so chances are pretty slim that it's anything to worry about.  Still, it's big and lumpy and not very comfortable, so plans are underway to get that thing out.  The phrase lumpectomy sounds kind of serious, but it's really not.  Bob's had lymphomas removed several times, including one the size of a lemon that grew on the back of his neck.  He doesn't have scars and it didn't really hurt, and this procedure is similar.  As long as they don't find something bad and unexpected.

Overall, this experience has been pretty intense.  There's so much fear and worry involved, and so much waiting between tests and results,  and results and retests.  In my rational mind I know that I'm likely just fine, but it's still a little nervewracking.

Last Wednesday I drove back from Eielson and painted on the graffiti rocks was the word BOOB in big white letters on a nice blue background.  It made me laugh as I passed it, and I've giggled to myself several times since.  So tonight, here's a celebration of the boob!  Mine might get a little lopsided here shortly, so maybe this weekend I need to throw on a low cut top and hit the town.  Or maybe, I'll buy a bottle of wine and we'll just stay home.

Comments

Missy said…
Keep me posted. I'm glad you are following up and taking care of yourself.
Lori L said…
yikes.
but I agree, let's hear it for the BOOBS. Recently raced in the Row for the Cure in Seattle, always a good event. so much pink.
please post when you're done with the cutting and testing.

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

books

what goes up, must come down