go figure

Here I am in Boston. Spent some time walking around the Freedom Trail, seeing all these amazing historical sites and taking it all in. But of course I forgot my camera, so today was supposed to be picture taking day.

Left the hotel, in the rain but thankful I'd bought a cute umbrella the day before, and headed back to the Freedom Trail which starts at the Boston Common. Walked through the Gardens, and thought I'd take a picture of the swan boats and the bridge. Pulled out the camera and got "lens error." So no pictures.

Luckily I have my iphone, so I figured I'd head to a store and buy a cheap camera. Found a Radio Shack not too far away (and almost directly across from Filene's Basement, a bargain shopper's paradise), bought a deal of a camera, left the battery with the very helpful clerk to charge, shopped, went back and was ready to roll. Freedom Trail for pictures, here I come! But first, a stop at the swan boats, to find that... ready for this.... the new camera was giving me a "lens error" message. Aaargh!

So back to Radio Shack, found out the camera was defunct, got my money back, headed back out into the rain and the heat and said "to heck with this." I'd spent a good hour and a half walking to the camera store and dealing with camera. It was hotter than hell and raining to boot. My grammie's saying that "horses sweat, women glow" came to mind, as I must be glowing like a radioactive isotope, and I realized that fate was giving me a message. Give it up.

So I went back to the hotel, got my luggage, headed to the airport early, and here I am. Two lemon drops and a nice meal later, I'm charging my iphone and getting ready to head outta Boston, bound for Portland, Oregon.

Boston is a very cool town. Since "historic" in Alaska means 1900-1920, the historic sites here are especially amazing. And I LOVE the brick buildings. I don't know that I've ever seen a brick building in Alaska and I could look at them all day, old or new. The food and ethnic/cultural diversity is amazing. I heard language spoken on the street that I didn't recognize, and ate some great meals. I wish I'd stood in line for the cannolli in Little Italy, instead of just grabbing some gelato. Still, my stomach enjoyed the trip, and I have some new ideas for recipes to try back home.

One day I'll come back, hopefully with hubby and kids in tow. And a working camera. Until then, I'll just drink a toast to Boston and an interesting trip. Salute!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books