continental cuisine

So tonight I'm eating Boston cream pie in Boston, Ma. Last night I dined on locally grown Oregon delights - including cassis berrries, asparagus and truffle risotto, and some lovely cheeses. Oh, and did I mention the Edgefield-made wine and whiskey? Not much beats food that fresh, especially enjoyed with a good friend or a sister (or a gal who is both!)

Awhile ago, I met a friend in Portland for the weekend, and we reveled in the local foods and wines served at the Southpark Seafood Grill and Wine bar, downtown on S.W. Salmon Street. That meal, and pasta tossed with incredibly fresh peas, asparagus and morels that I devoured once in Washington D.C., have really changed the kind of eating I try to enjoy while traveling.

There are always great restaurants around - I've hit some great steak houses and loved some Italian food in my travels - but finding a spot where great food is created with fresh local ingrediants is truly the way to get a taste of a region. Maybe it makes such an impact because I grew up in Alaska back in the old days, where fresh vegetables meant my mom had just opened the can, but I can get really excited about fresh fried green tomatoes or just picked melon.

So while here in Boston, I'm going to have to try some seafood - maybe lobster since we don't get a lot of that back home. There's a restaurant close by, Sel de la Terre, which advertises itself as "from our farm to your fork," and is right down the street. There are several other establishments close by as well and which turn up on my high tech google search of "local food restaurant Boston." It's always nice to have a purpose, I think, and mine is going to be to find great locally harvested foods.

And then back to Oregon, where I'll eat tons of fresh berries, cherries, and veggies - along with a healthy dose of Oregon wines. In fact, I'm currently racking my brain for ideas. I've offered to cook dinner for my mom and a friend when I get back to Rockaway Beach, and I want to take advantage of what's fresh locally. Definitely some nice cheese, like the Oregonzola, which is always good, but I'm not sure what else yet. Ciopinno is always a good way to take advantage of what's fresh and local, so that's one option. Or a hazelnut encrusted chicken with a sauce of gorgonzola and fresh sage? If you've got ideas, send 'em my way willya?

I think I'll avoid the Boston Baked Beans and the Boston Brown Bread while I'm here. The Boston creme pie, which isn't even pie in reality, was my shout out to locally named cuisine. I suppose I will have to try a Boston brewed beer while I'm here, just for the sake of research, of course. It's rough sometimes, yes?

Comments

Molly said…
I was thinking we should try to hit a U-pick (not Yupik) farm or orchard while you are here. Bring me back some lobster!

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books