poet's work

“Poet’s Work,” Lorine Niedecker

Grandfather
advised me:
Learn a trade

I learned
to sit at desk
and condense

No layoff
from this
condensery


I learned about a new (to me) poet today. Lorine Niedecker. A "poet of place but not a regional poet" as her themes were universal. I like the complexity of idea in simple lines.



What horror to awake at night
and in the dimness see the light.
Time is white
mosquitoes bite
I've spent my life on nothing.

The thought that stings. How are you, Nothing,
sitting around with Something's wife.
Buzz and burn
is all I learn
I've spent my life on nothing.

I've pillowed and padded, pale and puffing
lifting household stuffing—
carpets, dishes
benches, fishes
I've spent my life in nothing.



Wilderness

You are the man
You are my other country
and I find it hard going

You are the prickly pear
You are the sudden violent storm

the torrent to raise the river
to float the wounded doe


Poems by Lorine Niedecker, 1903-1970. http://www.lorineniedecker.org/poems.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books