hotdish

Okay, so tonight my family is subject to the grand experiment. First, the background....

As a child growing up in Kenai, Alaska, in the 1970's, fresh & fancy food wasn't always available for affordable. Most families used powered milk, the only tomatoes we saw were canned, and my grandmother used to mail us nuts and chocolate chips and the like for holiday baking. As such, we ate lots of fish and moose. And created meals with what was available and cheap.

Enter the can of cream of mushroom soup. As I look through the old church cookbooks, there's a can of some sort of soup in almost every recipe. It's how the casserole was made, yes?

So last night I found myself with leftover rice and also discovered a bag of hamburger meat in the fridge. What to do? Somewhere from the recipe box of my mind I remembered a recipe that my mom used to make with regularity. I always liked it, I think. So tonight, my family gets to try a real, down home hotdish treat.

Here's the recipe:
Brown hamburger w/ some chopped onion. Mix it in a large bowl with a bunch of leftover rice, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of canned mushrooms, and a can of tomato sauce. Put it into a casserole dish, top with cheese and bake.

It doesn't look bad, although it's not out of the oven yet. The kids love hamburger and rice, and this is just a fancy variation, yes? The tater tot casserole was a big hit and it had cream of mushroom soup.

We'll see how the retro cooking goes.... canned soup and sodium are underrated....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books