three big dogs

For some reason, we have acquired three big dogs. Once, a long time ago, we inherited a German Shepherd who, although very sweet, had serious anxiety issues. In an attempt to help her feel secure and have a friend, we decided to get a puppy.

My husband wanted a big dog, a manly dog, and was delighted when we went to see the puppies advertised as 1/2 Chesapeake and 1/2 black lab. The sire they showed us was huge, as was the mom, and we thought the little male with big feet that we chose would grow accordingly. He was named Milo, after Milo of Crotona who carried the calf up the mountain every day, growing stronger as the calf grew. To make a long story short (the long story is quite a tale, though!) the pup turned out to be female, with stubby legs and wide, square hips. Sort of like a box with legs.

So Milo grew, mostly wider vs. taller, and matured into a sweet, mellow dog. When we had to put down the German Shepherd, she was lonely and so we looked, once again, for a puppy. After much searching, we found the big dog my husband was still seeking - 1/2 Malemute, 1/2 Mackenzie River Husky male. He too has a great disposition. A little clumsy and incredibly strong, I remind my husband he got what he asked for every time he tries to walk Dimas and Dimas walks him.

Two big dogs seemed enough, at 80 and 95 pounds respectively, they quickly fill our small house. But, as we all do, Milo is growing older and my husband worried that she was in decline. Her hips bother her, and our steep hills and many steps make her nervous. So, although the vet gave her a clean bill of health, he began to look for another puppy. It would be awful if something happened to Milo and Dimas was all alone.

Enter big dog #3. 1/2 Newfoundland, 1/2 husky, she's already taller than Dimas at 13 months old. Again, we'd be hard pressed to find a sweeter disposition in a canine, but her size and energy is a bit daunting. She torments Dimas constantly, lying on her back, gripping his front leg with her teeth, she lets him drag her around the yard while she hangs on and on. She hates to be confined. If we leave her loose, she stays faithfully in the yard, but if we put her in the pen, on a chain, or even behind a pet gate, she'll work and work and work until she's free.

So now, we have three big dogs, who collectively weigh more than the children currently inhabitating the house. This morning they were wonderful, quietly sleeping as I worked in the house. Moving from room to room as I did, they were sweet and mellow until Anya the puppy discovered she liked coffee. I had my coffee on the coffee table (appropriate, yes?) which is well within the reach of big dogs. I walked in to the kitchen and returned to find her drinking my coffee, lucky for her the mug was big and full. So after a scolding and a new cup of coffee for me, she lay back down and I went back to work. This time, she needed to stand on her hind legs to reach my coffee on the kitchen counter.

Currently, the dogs are outside, looking pitifully in through the patio windows. The two older dogs perplexed as to why they're punished for the sins of youth, and Anya wondering why she can't them to keep playing with her in the snow. My house is temporarily my own, as is my coffee. Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books