The Horror Continues, pt 2

When it come to really scary, no one does it like Stephen King.  His books have caused me to sleep with a light on, pulling my toes in so they don't go off the edge of the bed.  Even his "non-scary" books are scary, often through examination of human nature, but also with the way he makes normal people experience paranormal events.  But, since this post is about the categories of horror in my collection, I'll share the four  Stephen King movies I own which most folks would count as "scary."

Stephen King Movies:

  1. Pet Sematary.  Classic cautionary tale of letting the dead be dead. Especially if it includes an ancient Indian burial ground.
  2. The Mist.  The humans are the scariest, but, like it's predecessor The Fog, not being able to see what's out there is  horrifying.  This one isn't as scary the second time around, which I think weakens it's status as a classic.
  3. IT.  This is one of the most terrifying books out there, and Pennywise the clown (voiced by Tim Curry) is the stuff nightmares are made of.  The scenes in the tunnels facing the great evil are perhaps even worse on the adults who must battle.
  4. The Shining.  Jack Nicholson in the haunted Overlook hotel.  Snowed in with the demons. Scary every time.  This haunting is powerful enough that it shows up in a second book 30 years later.... read Dr. Sleep. Really. 
When it comes to zombies, it's the old school I like the best.  Night of the Living Dead by George Romero, 1968, followed by Dawn of the Dead ten years later. In 1985 I saw Return of the Living Dead, which fueled my appreciation of what is aptly named "black comedy."  Romero's final film in the original triology, Day of the Dead wasn't the end of his horror career by any means.  He gave us Creepshow and The Crazies, among others.  So I appreciate a good zombie movie, and I love the series The Walking Dead.  Here's my collection by this theme.

Zombies and the Walking Dead:
  1. The Romero films- The original Night of the Living Dead is by far the best.  I even have a colorized version, but still prefer the b&w. 
  2. Dawn of the Dead (the remake, 2004).  It's not bad, as far as remakes go and its got good zombies.
  3. The Fog.  Okay, not a classic zombie film but it has dead sailors coming back to life, walking across the water into the town, and take revenge.  Close.
  4. Shaun of the Dead.  This one I can watch over and over.  Clever, good zombies and a bit of the romance.  Very nice.
I know I need to continue to add to my zombie movie collection; there are some great ones out there.

I wonder if Jed will want to watch scary movies when he gets older.  Right now he likes the idea of them but not the reality. Maybe I just need to find the right title to hook him in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books