escapist fiction

For years I was an English teacher.  That meant that in my spare time, I read "literature."  I checked out new books that I might be able to teach, tried to keep up with new works by the erudite set, read books about books that I was teaching, or re-read books that I was teaching.  In the summer, I ventured into cheap fiction, such as Charlaine Harris's "Southern Vampire" series. But even that was justifiable.  Since they based the series True Blood on those books, I told myself I was just keeping up with popular culture.

Now that I'm three years out of the classroom (which sounds crazy to me when I write it, and kind of sad as well) I have embraced the fact that no one gives a hoot what I read.  Thus, I've embraced escapist fiction.

Right now it's the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson, and next I think it will be Jesse Stone books by Robert Parker.  Read a great novel called The Weird Sisters that, other than a reference to Macbeth in the title, was a  quick fun read about family relationships.   I've downloaded a book by Lisa Lutz on my iPad, since she was recommended by a friend.  The most literary thing I have going is a Joan Didion book by my bed that I need to finish and return to a friend.

I'm thankful for Gullivers Used Books ro my habit could be expensive.  Some of these books take as long to read as it takes to drink a latte and are just as expensive.  Luckily I've cut back on my mocha habit to support my reading habit. AND I can take these and trade them in for new ones as I go.

Other than having some strange dreams on occasion, I don't see a big draw back to my new addition to escapist fiction. I'm still doing my school work, and reading books about curriculum for my job, but my reading time has become strictly fun time.  It's been a long time.  I've missed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books