back to school

It's that time of year.  The signs are all here.  The fair is looming.  A few yellow leaves are peaking through the underbrush.  The fireweed has bloomed to the top.  And school supplies are on sale.  Even though this will be my 2nd year out of the classroom, I still start jonesing for my classroom when August arrives.

I still have all of my posters, wall quotes, letters - all waiting to go up on my classroom walls.  I've got a ton of great ideas of what I could teach this year.  New books, new ideas, and all the excitement I've always had.  Poor Ali; she's doing her AP English homework and I'm pouncing on her forcing her to discuss theme and symbolism with me.  I tried to assign a second companion reading to compare and discuss, but she told me to go away.  Discussing the relationship of the narrator and theme in A Prayer for Owen Meany just isn't fun by myself.   But, I still have the knowledge and the skill to help people unlock the secrets of literature. 

I've been pouring over the Office Max and Fred Meyer ads, looking at the back to school supplies.  I might even have to buy myself some new purple pens, just to celebrate the start of a new year.  And some sticky notes.  I mean, even though I can get some at the office, they're not in fun colors, or shapes.  I mean, sticky notes need to be fun, right?

On August 2, I'll have been in "administration" for one year. I hope that I can illustrate that one doesn't need to be in the classroom to still make kids and learning the priority.  It's just now I'm supporting teachers in their quest to teach students.  I'm supporting students by helping district policies and procedures be realistic and directed.  I'm helping everyone by re-focusing curriculum to be guaranteed and viable so that students are set up for success and learning isn't by chance or luck of which teacher you get.

I feel in my gut that I'll end up back in the classroom one day.  I miss kids, and laughing as much as you do in a room full of teenagers.  But even though I'm not in a classroom, I am still excited about the start of the new school year.  August brings hope of the great things to come.  It means promise.
Bring on the start of school!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books