My baby

My baby turns 9 years old today.  He's been flying high & having a great day.  It's a little bittersweet for me.  I love my son.  He's thoughtful, funny, strong-willed, and can be as annoying as possible.  He loves his family, and his dogs, and math.  He like practical jokes and snuggling.   He talks constantly, has a lively vocabulary, and says things that seem wise beyond his years.

I love watching him grow and change, but I mourn for the days of having a little one.  I remember so clearly the night I went into labor, and the way he looked sleeping in a bassinet that first night at home.  I remember when the only way to distract him if Bob and I were leaving him home with a sitter was to show him "ups!" (weightlifting videos).  I remember how much he loved to strip himself nekid, no matter the time or place, and streak around doing his booty dance.  I remember when he decided that he was a supporter of Obama in 2008 and asked me to buy him a shirt to wear to school.

Part of his being 9 is that it means that in December Ali will be 18, a senior in high school.  It means that Hannah turns 21 in July and that in a year it will be just Jed, Bob, and me at home.  The thought of an empty house makes my heart sink into my stomach.  I know to be happy for my kids' adventures and futures, but I love knowing they're in the house when I go to bed at night.  When I get up in the night, I can go into their rooms and listen to them breathe, and kiss their heads, and tell them I love them.

My babies are growing.  Tonight, I feel kind of sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books