the next step

Well, I'm about to start a new adventure.  After being a classroom teacher since 1995, I'm about to become a year-round educational employee.  Yesterday I accepted a job as the secondary curriculum coordinator for the school district.  It's kind of still sinking in, but I think I'm excited about the change.

For the past year I've been working on a Master's degree in Curriculum & Instruction, so when a position came open that required this degree and would let me use what I learn, I felt like I had to apply.  I was sort of surprised to get it, but am really excited as well as flattered that my current boss thinks I can do the job.

This means that I will be facilitating curriculum revisions, working with school counselors, planning professional development, organizing district-wide events such as Poetry Out Loud, and completing "other duties as assigned"  I still get to work with great people in a great department.

The downside is that I'm working year-round, although the upside is that I'm on the same schedule as Bob and we'll have some flexibility beyond the school schedule.  I'm still getting used to the idea that I won't get to spend each and every day with Jed next summer, but hopefully we'll all adjust just fine and be able to create other times together.

I asked Bob, "Can I still just say I'm a teacher?"  Because my heart is that of a teacher, my opinions about education always come back to, what's best for kids?  After all, that's what it's all about.

Comments

Lori L said…
Congratulations.
Wow, year round employment. How will you cope?
Jed will be fine running wild, don't worry.
Missy said…
Congrats. You are and always will be an educator.
Sheila said…
Congratulations Mel, hope the transition is smooth and feels right every step of the way.
Casey said…
YAY! I'm still so thrilled you have that position! Rock on, sister!

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books