The perils of the internet

When I was a child, and one of the kids did stupid things, it was simple. Mom would call poison control in there was ingestion, and that would decide if we were all taking a road trip to the hospital for a stomach pumping. I can still remember my brother crying, and trying to reach the rest of the solid room deodorizer as my mom called Poison Control. I thought Mr. Yuck (remember him?) was a relative - his number was right there next to Grammie's. If there wasn't ingestion, it might be a trip to the fire department instead of the hospital. For example, when I got a fish hook through my finger it was decided that the firemen were closer and cheaper. Nevermind that I thought the Betadyne they poured on was blood, and passed out in front of one very cute fireman. The hook was removed and mom made me do chores when we got home.

Nowadays however, we have the dreaded Internet. This means that when a child does something, like swallow a magnet, the initial reaction is "He's not choking so it will come out eventually." This was the common sense approach of the olden days. But then, the dreaded "second guessing" comes in.... and I turn on the computer. WebMD Children's says take this quiz, and when I click "YES, my child swallowed a magnet" it tells me to take him directly to the ER. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and do not let your child play with metal objects or swallow a second magnet. This could result in a the magnets joining in the small intestine, creating a twisting blockage that results in a variety of horrible consequences and the immediate removal of the child from the home of the negligent parent.

So, we went to the Urgent Care, got a lovely x-ray of the magnet, which was clearly and cleanly making its way down the digestive system towards the bowels. We left with a bucket, several tongue depressor "spatulas", and instructions to let our primary care doctor know if we don't find the magnet within a few days.

My son has already asked for a copy of the x-ray so he can take it to show and tell next year.

As for me, I'm drinking a vodka tonic, thinking about a second, and hoping that my husband can deal with the "poo" issue....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

imagination

what goes up, must come down

books